September 22, 2008

emPOWER You can make a difference too

The night before I left for college, I sat in my friend's kitchen shooting the breeze for the last time until I'd see him again on winter break. Our families have gotten close through the years, and we've each been adopted into the families. 

During conversation, his mom walks in to send her farewells to me and wishes me the best of luck in Athens. I was left with a piece of advice. "You're above average." Ok, the real advice I left with was, "You both are special people and I want to see you guys make a difference in the world." 

So, two weeks later I moved into the wonderful city of Athens, and began the next chapter in my journalistic career. I had applied to Scripps hoping to be a journalist focusing on political and international issues, but had changed my mind to focus on public relations (PR as the journies call it). I joined ImPRession, Ohio University's own public relations firm. (Ranked 1st in the nation, most notable client is Bob Evans)

Now to today's story. Of the organizations we could represent I chose emPOWER, a non-profit organization offering assistance to Africa. I got my e-mail confirmation today that I would be working with emPOWER and help represent them to spread the word of their cause.

Its funny how things come full circle. Looks like I may be able to make a difference after all, while working with international issues and become a determined PR student. It just all happened a lot quicker than expected. So I leave you with an informational video about emPOWER, and remind all that you too can make a difference in this world. You just have to try.


1 comment:

Kyle said...

Good work Weezy good work