September 14, 2008

SPORTS: Who dey...? Power of sports press

CINCINNATI

Cincinnati is terrible. Even the press thinks so. 

I know its week 2, I know it was windy today, and I know I should be patient. I also know the Cincinnati Bengals are terrible.

The one prayer they had was the offense, and its simply not there. The once explosive Palmer looks like he is playing to stay alive, the WR core doesn't scare defenses and the line isn't much of one. Once the offense fails, our defense stands no chance. They have been consistently bad, and there seems to be little hope for the year.

Since I am already considering selling my Bengals gear on eBay and just wait until February to watch football again, I figure I should focus on something I still have faith in. The media.

Thursday Paul Daugherty, Cincinnati Enquirer columnist wrote of the downward spiraling Bengals. He noted that he hasn't seen fans enraged this much in twenty years and that the enraged fans are now simply throwing in the towel.

As a future journalist, I'm glad to see people reading and responding to such articles. Not everyone will agree with Daugherty, but his valid points open many eyes. He opened the discussion to fans, and got an interesting assortment of opinions. 

"The Bengals will be what we've been the last 20 years as long as the Brown family owns them. All that's left to do is pull myself away from the TV and...go outside and enjoy the fall."

"We've been a national punch-line for the bulk of my existence."

"I refuse to look like an idiot any longer."

Sports is an obvious target for media. Teams are made up of over-payed individuals. Entire cities glorify players and find faith in their teams. Sports has a solid presence in our country, as does the media. When they collide, it can get ugly because the truth isn't pretty.

As Daugherty said, "It won't stop. It never does."





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Cincinnati Bengals ARE terrible.
This is true as many people have come to find in our first two games. The way I say 'our' is an example of how people engage in faith for their sports teams.The fact that they are so bad doesn't stop me from liking the Bengals. I like them for the simple fact that they represent somwthing that I do as well. The fact that I am also a future journalist, interested mainly by sports, leads me to search for answers to support my love for the team.

Daughtery's argument is very true. Fans are more outraged than ever. This is because we saw what it was like to win the division, to almost be in the Super Bowl. Felt what it was like to be 11-5 and have one of the most hyped offenses. We have fallen apart and Palmer is the reason. The team still has potential. It just desperatley needs change.

Matt Crain J101
mcrain08.wordpress.com
WhoDey!?

Aaron said...

We can agree that change needs to happen. I don't blame it on Palmer or even Lewis for that matter. The 08-09 season started on a terrible note with 'Ocho-Cinco' and of course Mike Brown (not Marvin Lewis) bringing back Chris Henry. I'd like to see how good of a team the Bengals could be with a new owner.

Anonymous said...

The 2008 Bengals are a mere shadow of the AFC North Division Champs they were in 2005. There is not only confusion on the field but in the front office as well. Much of the problem should be placed on Mike Brown. He underminds the coach and leader of the team, Marvin Lewis, again and again. It is only a matter of time before his stupid decisions run the only decent coach we've had in recent history out of town. I disagree that the blame should be on Carson Palmer, he cannot control the way his offensive line, special teams, or defense plays. He is simply an easy target to put the blame on. Basically what needs to happen is a front office change. The best thing for this franchise would be a new owner.

jim said...

Ray Lewis made Marvin Lewis a defensive genius. Chad Johnson makes Marvin Lewis look sad.