September 17, 2008

NEWS: Yahoo! $100K report

Yahoo! News is rarely real news. When I sign into my e-mail account there are always four headlines on the Yahoo! front page. One of the four will be news that matters to the world, while the other three give me kissing tips, a report that I should eat healthier and something about a two headed panda.

I have yet to see the panda headline, but you get the picture that there is never political coverage or international news.

Today when I signed in there was only one real news story, giving readers an update about Hurricane Ike. One of the other headlines still managed to catch my eye.

"The Quickest Route to a Six-Figure Job"

Journalist was not one of them. 

If you want to know how to make some coin, see the list at http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-articles-the_quickest_route_to_a_six_figure_job-518

I'll make my point quickly-Yahoo! is smart because they have the "news" people want to read. The majority of people would rather learn how to be a good boyfriend than learn about the conflict in Georgia or hear about the newest legislation going through Congress. An important aspect of media is that the media needs an audience, and the "news" Yahoo! reports is for the average American. Too bad the average American doesn't care more. 

1 comment:

jim said...

Maybe there is an opertunity there because I think the average American does care about the news but has so few real choices on how to get it. Newspapers, newscast, and magazines have all become very generic and emphasize the trivial. Give the average American a quality choice I bet they will tune in or read.